Time Alone for the Sake of Others

Here are some notes to a talk I have given about the way in which solitude can be thought of as an act for community. Perhaps this will be helpful in our time of social distancing and isolation. May we take advantage of this time to be alone with the Lord.


Time Alone for the Sake of Others
Kelly Liebengood

How do we build up one another? How do we become a community in which iron sharpens iron? Counterintuitively, we must be alone in order to be a blessing to our community. 

  1. A lesson from Bonhoeffer (“The Day Alone” in Life Together)

a.                   “Let him who cannot be alone beware of community. Let him who is not in community beware of being alone.” (p. 78)

    1. “The person who comes into a fellowship because he is running away from himself is misusing it for the sake of diversion...Let him who cannot be alone beware of community. He will only do harm to himself and to the community. Alone you stood before God when he called you; alone you had to answer the call; alone you had to struggle and pray; and alone you will die and give account to God. You cannot escape from yourself; for God has singled you out. If you refuse to be alone you are rejecting Christ’s call to you, and you can have no part in the community of those who are called.” (p. 77)

    1. “But the reverse is also true: Let him who is not in community beware of being alone. Into the community you were called, the call was not meant for you alone; in the community of the called you bear your cross, you struggle, you pray. You are not alone, even in death, and on the Last Day you will be only one member of the great congregation of Jesus Christ. If you scorn the fellowship of the brethren, you reject the call of Jesus Christ.” (p. 77)

    1. “The Christian needs a definite time when he can be alone during the day: Scripture meditation, prayer, and intercession. All three should have their place in the daily period of mediation...this time let’s us be alone with the Word. and in so doing it gives us solid ground on which to stand and clear directions as to the steps we must take.” (p. 81)

    1. “The most promising method of prayer is to allow oneself to be guided by the word of the Scriptures, to pray on the basis of the word of Scripture. In this way we shall not become the victims of our own emptiness. Prayer means nothing else but the readiness and willingness to receive and appropriate the Word, and, what is more, to accept it in one’s personal situation, particular tasks, decisions, sins, and temptations...According to a word of Scripture we pray for clarification of our day, for preservation from sin, for growth in sanctification, for faithfulness and strength in our work. And we may be certain that our prayer will be heard, because it is a response to God’s Word and promise.” (p. 85)

    1. “A Christian fellowship lives and exists by the intercession of its members for one another, or it collapses. I can no longer condemn or hate a brother for whom I pray, no matter how much trouble he causes me...intercession means no more than to bring our brother into the presence of God, to see him under the Cross of Jesus as a poor human being and sinner in need of grace. Then everything in him that repels us falls away; we see him in all his destruction and need...This makes it clear that intercession is a daily service we owe to God and our brother. He who denies his neighbor the service of praying for him denies him the service of a Christian.” (p. 86)

    1. “Since meditation on Scriptures, prayer, and intercession are a service we owe and because the grace of God is found in this service, we should train ourselves to set apart a regular hour for it, as we do every other service we perform. This is not ‘legalism’; it is orderliness and fidelity.” (p. 87)

    1. Summary:
i.Every act of solitude is also an act of service to the community (brotherhood). We are the body of Christ. Every member serves the body by being alone in meditation, listening to the Word and responding accordingly. Aloneness brings blessings, strength, clarity, peace, and healing to the community. 

        1. Whole people bring their wholeness wherever they go; split people pass along their brokenness to others.

2.                  To the extent to which we ignore our vast inner self with all its complexity, we inflict our dividedness on others. When you lack self-awareness, you inflict that upon others.

3.                  Meditation (as Bonhoeffer talks about it) centers us, helps us become self-aware and whole. 
a.                   “Nearly all the wisdom we possess, that is to say, true and sound wisdom, consists in two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves. But, while joined by many bonds, which one precedes and brings forth the other is not easy to discern...the knowledge of ourselves not only arouses us to seek God, but also, as it were, leads us by the hand to find him...however the knowledge of God and of ourselves may be mutually connected, the order of right teaching requires that we discuss the former first, then proceed afterward to treat the latter.” John Calvin, Insitutes, 1.1.1-2

2.                  Examples of Meditation

a.                   Journaling

    1. Mueller’s time alone
“The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever, that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day, to have MY SOUL HAPPY IN THE LORD. The first thing to be concerned about was not, how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. For I might seek to set the truth before the unconverted, I might seek to benefit believers, I might seek to behave myself as it becomes a child of God in this world; and yet, not being happy in the Lord, and not being nourished and strengthened in my inner man day by day, all this might not be attended to in a right spirit. Before this time my practice had been, at least for ten years previously, as a habitual thing, to give myself to prayer, after having dressed in the morning. Now I saw, that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God and to meditation on it, that thus my heart may be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed; and that thus, whilst meditating, my heart might be brought into experimental communion with the Lord. I began therefore, to meditate on the New Testament, from the beginning, early in the morning. The first thing I did, after having asked in a few words the Lord’s blessing upon His precious Word, was to begin to meditate on the Word of God; searching, as it were, into every verse, to get blessings out of it; not for the sake of the public ministry of the Word; not for the sake of preaching on what I had meditated upon; but for the sake of obtaining food for my own soul.. The result I have found to be almost invariably this, that after a very few minutes my soul has been led to confession, or to thanksgiving, or to intercession, or to supplication; so that though I did not, as it were, give myself to prayer, but to meditation, yet it turned almost immediately more or less into prayer. When thus I have been for awhile making confession, or intercession, or supplication, or have given thanks, I go on to the next words or verse, turning all, as I go on, into prayer for myself or others, as the Word may lead to it; but still continually keeping before me, that food for my own soul is the object of my meditation. The result of this is, that there is always a good deal of confession, invariably is even sensibly nourished and strengthened and that by breakfast time, with rare exceptions, I am in a peaceful if not happy state of heart. Thus also the Lord is pleased to communicate unto me that which, very soon after, I have found to become food for other believers, though it was not for the sake of the public ministry of the Word that I gave myself to meditation, but for the profit of my own inner man. The difference between my former practice and my present one is this. Formerly, when I rose, I began to pray as soon as possible, and generally spent all my time till breakfast in prayer, or almost all the time. At all events I almost invariably began with prayer. But what was the result? I often spent a quarter of an hour, or even an hour on my knees, before being conscious to myself of having derived comfort, encouragement, humbling of soul, etc.; and often after having suffered much from wandering of mind of the first ten minutes, or a quarter of an hour, or even half an hour, I only then began really to pray. I scarcely ever suffer now in this way. For my heart being nourished by the truth, being brought into experimental fellowship with God, I speak to my Father, and to my Friend (vile though I am, and unworthy of it!) about the things that He has brought before me in His precious Word. It often now astonishes me that I did not sooner see this. In no book did I ever read about it. No public ministry ever brought the matter before me. No private intercourse with a brother stirred me up to this matter. And yet now, since God has taught me this point, it is a plain to me as anything that the first thing the child of God has to do morning by morning is to obtain food for his inner man. As the outward man is not fit for work for any length of time, except we take food, and as this is one of the first things we do in the morning, so it should be with the inner man. We should take food for that, as every one must allow. Now what is the food for the inner man: not prayer, but the Word of God: and here again not the simple reading of the Word of God, so that it only passes through our minds, just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what we read, pondering over it, and applying it to our hearts. I dwell so particularly on this point because of the immense spiritual profit and refreshment I am conscious of having derived from it myself, and I affectionately and solemnly beseech all my fellow-believers to ponder this matter. By the blessing of God I ascribe to this mode the help and strength which I have had from God to pass in peace through deeper trials in various ways than I had ever had before; and after having now above forty years tried this way, I can most fully, in the fear of God, commend it. How different when the soul is refreshed and made happy early in the morning, from what it is when, without spiritual preparation, the service, the trials and the temptations of the day come upon one!”

Comments

  1. Professor Liebengood, this post drew a hearty “yes” response from deep within me. Through Gods Grace and mercy, I was blessed to learn I cannot know what I want or need to say to others until I write it down.” Thinking for the purpose of ordering and recording my scattered thoughts does require time alone. My family and all those who God has allowed me to serve came to know when I asked “Are we all on the same page?...I was speaking literally. Thank you for your service to the community through posting results derived from your time alone in Amans Bonum. I am consuming every post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes: Genesis 3.1-13; Psalm 25; Rom 7.7-12; Matt 7.24-27

The Good Work of Student Development (Revisited)