The Generation that Wants Nothing and Why

People my age, especially educators, who engage with 18-22 year-olds regularly complain that this generation lacks passion and drive: in short, we think they care about nothing. Recently, I got a window into the heart of this generation, and it renewed in me a desire to invest in their lives.

This summer I have been teaching an intensive course on the Book of Revelation. In one of my first lectures I highlighted one of Augustine's key insights: the problem of humanity is not that we lack the right information (education) or the right technology; rather the essential problem with humankind is that we do not love the right things.

In my lecture I stressed that, in my view,  the Book of Revelation is ultimately about teaching us to love and align ourselves with the right things. In the course of trying to demonstrate this, I showed the class a video clip from a documentary called the Persuaders, a PBS Frontline look into the advertising industry. I was deeply moved by the conversation that ensued.

My intention was to give students a glimpse into the way in which the advertising world seeks to shape our desires, create meaning for our lives, and paint a picture of the good life. After watching the video I sought to open up some discussion by asking the following question: "So, how are your desires being shaped by advertising?"

So far as I could tell, the response was  unanimous. The first brave student spoke out, and opened a flood-gate of similar comments: "It is not that advertising shapes my desires. If anything it has made me desire nothing." I asked him to explain.

"Our entire life has been filled with people manipulating words and images to try and win our allegiance, our affections--to sell us stuff we don't really need. It makes me want nothing; it makes me feel like everyone wants something from me, and I don't know who to trust.  How can I know what is truly worth giving my life and my heart to?"

A second student agreed, and added that she feels weary of everyone competing for her allegiance. She added that she feels that the church seeks to win her affections in the same fashion that advertisers do--through manipulation and flashiness.

This went on for about thirty minutes.

We have a tremendous challenge ahead of us as we seek to help this next generation to love the right things. Perhaps it starts by being people they can trust.

Comments

  1. I think rather than merely getting my generation to love the right things, it would be useful for them to know what the "right things to love" are and why. (: Good incite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes: Genesis 3.1-13; Psalm 25; Rom 7.7-12; Matt 7.24-27

The Good Work of Student Development (Revisited)