Finalized Summer Reading List

I have revised and finalized my reading list for this summer. Academically, my year is marked by three seasons: Fall semester, Spring semester, and Summer.  Each season I try to be intentional about what I read, while also trying to stretch myself beyond my comfort zone. Each year, along with doing research in my area of expertise, I try to read at least one book in each of the following categories: an Old Testament Monograph, a New Testament Monograph (outside of my area of expertise), a modern theologian, an early church father, a Second Temple text, a Greco-Roman primary source text, something about the history of the church, a book on hermeneutics, a philosophy of higher education book,  a book on spiritual formation, and a novel.

I won't be able to cross everything off the list this summer, but here is what I am shooting for before August 15:


1. Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching by Irenaeus.
2. The Struggle to Understand Isaiah as Christian Scripture by Brevard Childs.
3. The Promise of Trinitarian Theology by Colin Gunton.
4. World Upside Down by Kavin Rowe.
5. Logos and Law in the Letter of James by Matt Jackson-McCabe.
6. Gilead and Home by Marilynne Robinson.
7. Desiring the Kingdom by James Smith.
8. After You Believe by N.T. Wright.
9. Just War as Christian  Discipleship by Daniel Bell, Jr.
10. Selected Essays by John Zizioulas.

I will be posting some reflections on my readings in the weeks and months to come.

What am I missing from my list? Would you suggest a "must-read" for the summer?

Comments

  1. I am interested in your take on Bell's "Just War." I always understood "just war" as a pacifism vs. lessor evil debate. But judging from the order in which you listed the books, I will have to wait until late August for that post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes: Genesis 3.1-13; Psalm 25; Rom 7.7-12; Matt 7.24-27

The Good Work of Student Development (Revisited)