On Blogging and Stewardship

This post is more for me than anyone else.

People blog for all sorts of reasons. I have blogged (or attempted to blog) with a variety of motivations. Recently, I started a new blog, with a new name (Amans Bonum) because I have a new reason for blogging. In a word, it's all about stewardship!

I am grateful for an opportunity to work full-time as a professor of biblical studies. I view this job as a vocation. Since it is my vocation,  I sense that I have the responsibility to order my thoughts, to cultivate the things that I am learning, and to share the fruits with others. Recently, I have become keenly aware of the fact that my job affords me the privilege of reading, thinking, reflecting, and learning from and interacting with others who have the same calling. This blog is a place for me to process my interactions, and a place to share this with others who might be interested in similar things.

In an effort to bring order to my blogging/thinking, I have created six foundational categories that reflect the primary themes that I will address in this blog:

1. Something Old: C.S. Lewis argued that reading old books protects us against cultural captivity. It is for this reason that I try to spend a good portion of each year reading "outdated" books that often have very relevant and timely messages for us in these days.

2. Something New: reviews and reflections on some of the newest books in theology, biblical studies, literature, and ministry.

3. Slice of Life: glimpses of scenes from my everyday life--family events, observations from the classroom, coaching, serving in the church, waiting in line at WalMart, and even training for triathlons.

4. Research Clippings: nuggets from my research projects.

5. Culture, Art and Entertainment: how does our culture distort and weaken Christian identity, and what does culture, art and entertainment reveal about the deepest longings of our hearts?

6. Sermon Notes: outlines and abstracts of my sermons.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes: Genesis 3.1-13; Psalm 25; Rom 7.7-12; Matt 7.24-27

The Good Work of Student Development (Revisited)